Leave of Absence and Reinstatement Procedures
temporary absence from school
Students who are unable to study for more than two months due to illness or other unavoidable reasons may take a leave of absence.
Leave of Absence Procedures
- Please pick up an “Application for Leave of Absence” at the following reception counter and fill in the required information.
- Please obtain the signature and seal of the guarantor on the “Application for Leave of Absence.
- After meeting with your academic advisor (faculty member in charge of student life, etc.), please obtain his/her opinion and seal on the “Application for Leave of Absence.
- Please obtain a seal of proof of tuition payment on the “Application for Leave of Absence” at the tuition office below.
- Scholarship recipients must have the Scholarship Administrator’s verification seal affixed at the Student Life Support Division.
- Please submit an “Application for Leave of Absence” to the reception desk.
- If the reason for the leave of absence is due to illness or physical condition, please attach a doctor’s certificate; if the reason is to study abroad, please attach a “Notification of Overseas Travel”.
Points to keep in mind when taking a leave of absence
- During the period of leave of absence, students will not be able to take classes and final examinations.
- The period of leave of absence may not exceed one year, but an extension may be granted under special circumstances. However, the period of leave of absence may not exceed three consecutive years for undergraduate students, two consecutive years for master’s degree programs and teacher training programs, and three consecutive years for doctoral programs in the Graduate School of Medicine, doctoral programs in the Graduate School of Medicine, and doctoral programs in the United Graduate School of Agricultural Science. Students may apply for up to one year at a time.
- For undergraduate students enrolled in or after the 2016 academic year, if a leave of absence lasts longer than two months, the leave of absence will not be counted toward the standard term of study. For graduate students and undergraduate students enrolled before the academic year 2015, if the leave of absence is for more than 3 months, the period will not be counted toward the standard term of study as it is now.
In addition, students who are on a leave of absence at the time of graduation determination will not be considered for graduation determination.
- If you have books to check out, please return them to the library counter.
Handling of tuition fees in the event of a leave of absence
|period of absence from school (e.g. during which one would take a leave of absence from one’s studies)||Date of receipt of “Application for Leave of Absence||Handling of tuition fees|
(April 1 – September 23)
|~March 31||Full tuition waiver for the previous semester|
|April 1 – April 30||Tuition payment for one month (April) and exemption for five months (May-September)|
|May 1~.||Full payment of tuition for the previous semester|
(September 24 – March 31)
|~September 23||Full tuition waiver for the second semester|
|September 24 – October 31||Tuition payment for 1 month (October) and exemption for 5 months (November-March)|
|From November 1||Full payment of tuition for the second semester|
|First and second semester
(April 1 – March 31)
|~March 31||Full tuition waiver for the first and second semester|
|April 1 – April 30||Tuition payment for 1 month (April), 11 months (May-March) waived|
|May 1 – September 23||
Full payment of tuition for the first semester and full waiver of tuition for the second semester
*Tuition fee handling for students who take a leave of absence for a quarter.
If a leave of absence is approved before the start of a term or by the deadline for tuition payment (April 30 for the first semester, October 31 for the second semester), tuition will be waived for the month in which the student is not enrolled for even one day.
If a leave of absence is granted after the tuition payment deadline, the full tuition for the semester in question must be paid.
return to school
The procedure for reinstatement is as follows
When a student returns to school after a leave of absence has expired
Please notify the following reception desk of your intention to return to the university and submit the “Reinstatement Form” by the expiration date of your leave of absence.
Reinstatement to the school during a leave of absence
Please submit the “Application for Reinstatement” to the reception desk below. In the case of reinstatement, please pay the tuition from the month of reinstatement to the end of the semester.
|Team in Charge||Faculty in charge||Phone number||Location|
|Faculty of Law and Letters Desk||Faculty of Law and Letters, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences||089-927-9220||Student Service Stations
(Library, 1st floor)
|Faculty of Education Desk||Faculty of Education, Graduate School of Education||089-927-9377|
|Faculty of Collaborative Regional Innovation Desk||Faculty of Collaborative Regional Innovation , Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences||089-927-9019|
|Faculty of Science Desk||Faculty of Science, SSC||089-927-9546|
|Faculty of Engineering Desk||Faculty of Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Engineering||089-927-9697|
|School of Medicine, Academic Affairs Division||School of Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine
Integrated Medical and Agricultural School of Public Health
|089-960-5175||Main Building, School of Medicine|
|Faculty of Agriculture Administration Division Academic Affairs||Faculty of Agriculture, Graduate School of Agriculture||089-946-9806||Main Building, Faculty of Agriculture|
|Contact person||Phone number||Location|
|Accounting Team, Accounting and Procurement Division, Finance Department||089-927-8871||Johoku Office Center 1st floor|
|Medical School Accounting Team||089-960-5148||School of Medicine Administration Building|
|Accounting Team, Department of Agriculture||089-946-9804||Main Building, Faculty of Agriculture|